Cloud computing has now been adopted by various organizations who are keen to leverage shared resources to reduce operational costs and boost overall efficiency. There have been threats in the form of cyberattacks on different organizations off late but one can view the enhancements and robustness of the cloud to be an ongoing process rather than a complete solution for the same.
Research results on cloud computing trends
Two research studies initiated by SAP and Microsoft and conducted by Sand Hill Group revealed that the trendsetters for cloud computing will continue to be mobile clouds, online data storage, and social networking channels. The influence of these platforms has been far-reaching and not every company could grab the opportunities presented to them.
- Cloud computing has provided job opportunities to thousands of people and is looking as promising as it is although bringing risks for some users and providers.
- The SAP study revealed that 11 cloud companies offered nearly 80000 jobs in 2010 alone and the number grew by 27% in 2011
- The projection in revenue in the next 5 years is expected to reach $20 billion on an annual basis.
- Several jobs will result because of a combination of IT opportunities and tasks outside technology requirements. Cloud computing will include sales and marketing, customer support, finance, production, HR, and service delivery.
A recent IDC projection also projected that cloud revenue may reach $1.1 trillion on an annual basis in the next three years. Additionally, it is expected that cloud computing will drive more than $625 billion in savings for companies in the next three years.
Key Contributors to the Growth in Cloud Computing
- Mobile Cloud is the key contributor to the cloud trend as the evolution of mobile devices is driving the transition from desktop to mobile. The enterprise world as well as the social world are now connected because of the mobile cloud.
- Social Cloud has got people more connected on a personal level and also on a business level through the varied networking channels. The social has helped in the integration of common people as well as the enterprise with business opportunities.
- Cloud Data Storage continues to thrive in companies that need a huge data storage and hosting platforms for furthering their business strategies.
The Future Trends
Cloud computing is driven by immense resource utilization, better response time, enhanced agility, and aligned innovation. The future seems to hold cloud computing in different spheres of technology:
The traditional infrastructure of IT finds it difficult to handle disaster recovery but cloud computing enables quick recovery of data without extraneous costs on a backup system and by assessing potential disasters.
Big Data Boost
As organizations shift towards analysis with data retention, the cloud infrastructure can accommodate big data. With several cluster instances and private cluster gear, one can expect better database tools in the near future which can handle big data efficiently and effectively.
Driving down costs
The margins in cloud computing are reduced and enterprises need to gear up with better cloud-specific applications to cut down on costs. The coming years will witness a host of cloud applications that are evolved as the big players continue to provide secure hosting services to drive seamless cloud adoption. The small players will fail to match up with the rising demand soon.
Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA)
Cloud computing servers are getting bulky with bigger instances and the incorporation of more virtual machines per server. This would lead to the emergence of better remote direct access memory (RDMA) over Ethernet. It will focus on software-defined networks that will manage the network aligned with its policies. New features are expected to feature in SDN too.
Use of Containers
Containers will be used widely for application distribution, cost optimization, and portability. The increased focus on automation tools will drive abstraction that will reduce complexity and remove dependencies.
One can associate the growth of the cloud computing market with the opportunities that it will present, and one can summarize that the future is bright with an increase in cloud adoption across the world.